Monday, June 21, 2010

Getting Back to "Normal" Life

I am not sure how a week passes by so fast!! Honestly it seems like a month ago that we were going to the hospital at this time to get ready for Charlotte's arrival. It has been quite a week - it always is with newborns and taking care of a fragile little life! And of course, no matter how prepared I was - or thought I was - you are never really ready.

Steve did a great job on the first post but then we all were just trying to get by in the hospital and fell down on the job of updates and pictures - thought I was prepared to keep those going as well but was wrong on that front, too! Anyhow, the 24 hour stay in the NICU kind of threw us a curve at the beginning and had us off to a chaotic start. A big praise that she was fine, but we had a peace about it the entire time and are just so thankful she never had to get an IV. After that it just seemed like one busy day after another in the hospital. The care there was excellent, I couldn't have asked for anything better. But great care requires a lot of staff - and boy did I have a lot of people taking care of us: my RN, my tech nurse, two nursery RNs, lactation consultant, my ob/gyn - add in hearing screeners, housekeeping and food service and it seems like my door was opening 24 hours a day. Plus, due to her blood sugar problems we had to supplement my breast feeding with formula and that was not easy. All I'll say is that involved a little thin spaghetti like tube that had to be fit into her mouth each time she fed - it took a lot of work! It complicated feeding a great deal so it seemed like all I could do in the hospital was say hello to all of the people in my room, get her fed and try to sleep in the few minutes between. Before I could think twice, it was Friday and we were going home. So apologies for not posting more pictures or giving updates sooner. I always aspire to be that new Mother that takes beautiful photos, has the baby dressed in a different outfit everyday and has hair and makeup donned at all times. So much for my aspirations!

Although I really needed and appreciated my week in the hospital, it felt really good to be home. It does turn up the pressure a bit, but my parents were here to help. I've had my share of the baby blues the past couple of days and am getting used to all of this change - but every time I look at that precious girl's face and hug my Lowery it makes it all worth it. It is so surreal, crazier than I even thought it would be. Trying to get used to "two" after a long five years with "one" is definitely a challenge. I feel so old at times and question whether I can do this. But I know with God's strength I can get through and carry out the plan he has for Charlotte's life!

I am feeling great after the section and am pretty much getting around just fine. I unloaded my first load of dishes today, did some laundry and cleaned up so I am trying to get back to some resemblance of a normal life. I did make it out yesterday - to Central Market - and enjoyed the time out. Today will be busy with Charlotte's first doctor's appointment and Lowery's first swimming lessons. Sometimes I balk at the thought of getting back to normal - I want to stay and soak up every first moment with this girl! But I know it's inevitable and it will be good to be back on a schedule.

Thanks for everyone for their prayers, their well wishes and comments about the baby. It meant so much to us and kept us going when she was in the NICU and throughout the rest of the busy week. I know you all are thinking, "Who cares about this commentary, where are the pictures??" I am getting ready to post nothing but pictures so stay tuned. And, yes, she does look a lot like Lowery - other than her LA Looks highlighted hair. Can't wait for you all to see it in person, it is quite the "do" - love you all!

No comments: