Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Am I Ready?

Since I don't have any new baby updates right now, I thought I would share something that's been on my mind for days now. It's amazing how waiting for this baby consumes my mind pretty much 24 hours a day. Even though I'm doing other things, it's always there somewhere in my mind - "WHEN?" I have done so much preparing the last few weeks. Preparing my home, preparing my husband (I'm sure he would say too much), preparing Lowery with information, the others in my family - even preparing you all for the baby's arrival with this site. Every minute I think, "Will today be the day - and am I ready?"

But WHY do I not do this in anticipation of the Lord's return? To look to the skies and prepare your home constantly for that day is as strong of a command as any in the Bible. Yet why do so many Christians ignore it and live oblivious to this event? I'm definitely guilty. On a daily basis the thought rarely crosses my mind and although I do my bible study, pray and seek God's will, very seldom to I question my readiness for the rapture each day. I'm definitely ashamed and am now realizing the parallels between preparing my home for this baby and preparing my home to be taken to heaven. Why I can't get the same level of intensity and urgency for the coming of our King is beyond me and something I've GOT to change. Because I, like many of you, feel like this even is not too far away and I want to be ready. I want my household to be fully prepared. I want to search and look for Him each day with anticipation, excitement, hope that today will be the day I meet my Savior. And to realize that for others who don't know Him, their time will be up.

While most of you don't have to prepare your home for a baby, I encourage you all to prepare your home and your family for something infinitely more important. The gift of this baby's arrival is precious - but all of us who know Christ have an arrival a thousand times more precious to look forward to. And we have a responsibility to share that news with others and help them be ready as well! I have worked hard in just 9 months to do everything I can to be ready for baby. I should be working equally as hard at sounding the alarm and readying others that I know would be left behind. Those of you who have had children, think back to your own feelings of anxiety and anticipation about the arrival of your baby. Do you feel that way about the Lord's return? Are you ready - and what are you doing to ready those around you?

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3, 6, 9 - For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape...So, then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled...He died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live together with him.

2 comments:

Crazy Connor's said...

Point well taken April. Thanks for sharing your heart! Love you- Brandi

Musings of a Southern Girl said...

April,
Thanks for sharing what God put on your heart. You are awesome!!!
We are praying for you guys.
Love,
Robin